Since the Boston Vegetarian Festival is this weekend we thought it would be fitting to share a meatless Monday favorite, This roasted carrot soup utilizes the natural sweetness of caramelized carrots for creamy smooth bisque. Fall and Winter are full of wonderful root vegetables that are often forgotten or avoided, but they are really easy to cook. Following this format is a easy starting point.
1. Wash Vegetable (peel if necessary)
2. Cube vegetable
3. Blanch vegetable
4. Season and toss with oil
5. Roast in a 350*F oven on a foil lined tray
6. Remove from oven and enjoy or Mash. Finish or serve with your favorites.
Roasted Carrot Soup
· Carrots 5lb
· Red Onion 3 large
· Garlic Minced 2 tbsp
· Salt & Pepper
· Seasoning: Cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne
· Vegetable Stock
· Chef’s Potatoes
· Seasoning: Curry Powder
· Sour Cream
1. Wash and peel carrots, Then dice into a 1/4 inch medium small piece
2. In a pot of boiling water, blanch the carrots until they begin to soften, then strain.
3. Slice onions Julienne, and toss with the strained carrots
4. Coat with oil and season generously with salt & Pepper
5. Roast in a 350*F oven for 12-18 minutes or until the carrots and onions begin to brown, may need to rotate the tray to prevent burning.
6. While the Carrots are roasting, wash the chef potato and dice into medium small pieces 1/4 inch.
7. Place in a pot of cold water and bring up to a simmer until the potato is soft enough to pass a fork (6-8 minutes)
8. Place pot in sink and run cold water into the pot until the potatoes are cool (this will help retain the skin), then strain and set aside.
9. Sauté the Potatoes in hot oil in a medium size pan, season with curry powder as desired and continue until the potatoes are hot and crisp.
10. Remove carrots and onion from the oven using blender (or bermixer if available) add vegetable stock to help puree the vegetables, the more vegetable stock that is added the smoother but thinner the product will be. recommended to included 1pint per lb of carrots as a starting point. Carrots are very oily and fibrous so the soup will be thick and have a slight sheen.
11. Once pureed, place the mixture in a large soup pot and season with coriander, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and a bit of cayenne
12. Allow the mixture to come to a boil to hydrate the spices
13. Meanwhile combine 1 cup of sour cream with 1 – 2 tsp of cumin.
14. Place the curry potatoes in the center of soup bowl, surround with carrot soup, and top with cumin sour cream to finish.