2014 year of the yolk is focused on the positive benefits of egg yolks both functionally and nutritionally. Lemon squares are an indulgent dessert that is full flavor with small bites. In combination of the growing popularity of egg yolks, citrus fruit are being utilized in 2014 to provide fresh bold flavors with fewer calories. By the addition of lemon juice and zest a dish can go from being heavy to light and summery.
- Butter Unsalted 11.5 oz (plus some for greasing the pan)
- Confectioners’ Sugar 7.7 oz
- Salt 0.5oz
- All Purpose Flour 15.1oz
- Egg Yolks 3oz
- Sweetened Condensed Milk 2lb 7.9oz
- Lemon Juice Fresh Squeezed 1lb 1oz
- Lemon Zest optional
- Confectioners’ Sugar for dusted as needed
- Heat oven to 350*F
- butter square baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper allowing it to overhang on two of the sides
- Butter the parchment and exposed sides of the pan.
- Using a mixer cream the butter and sugar until lightly fluffy
- Add the salt and flour; mixing on low until just combined
- Press the dough into the bottom about 1/2 inch up the side
- Dock with fork and bake 15-20 minutes obtaining little color
- meanwhile in a large bowl combine remaining ingredients until smooth
- Pour mixture over the warm crust and return to the oven; continue baking for 25-30minutes or until filling is set
- remove from oven and allow to cool completely; refrigerate for approx 2 hours
- using the paper overhang remove from pan and cut into 2×2 squares
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar.