This recipe for Marrow soup helps to warm up both the house and body.
- 1 cup of marrow beans
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Table spoons of Ghee (or butter)
- 1 large leek white and light green parts sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove
- 2Quarts of broth (veggie or chicken)
- 1 pound of celeriac peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound of parsley root peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- Place the beans in a large mixing bowl and cover with two inches of hot water; stir in the baking soda. cover and allow to sit for 18 to 24 hours stirring occasionally, replace water occasionally for best results.
- After soaking, strain and discard water.
- In stock pot melt ghee(or butter) sautéing the leeks and garlic until they are soft and fragrant
- Pour the stock into the pot, add the beans and allow to simmer from one hour with a cover.
- Add the remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables become tender.
- Serve warm
CSG Tip: serve with a crusty bread to help absorb some of the broth.
Marrow beans are a white bean the size of pinky fingernail. They are creamy in texture and have a unique flavor but are considered a heirloom bean and can sometimes be hard to find